Need Assistance? Call 0151 647 7372

Need Assistance? Call 0151 647 7372


Our dedicated child arrangement service will help you sort out where your child will live, when and how much contact they have with each parent and agreements on upbringing.

Who can apply for a child arrangement order?

You don’t need permission from the court to apply for a child arrangement order if any of the following applies to you:

  •    Parent or guardian to the child / children or hold any sort of parental responsibility
  •    In a marriage or civil partnership and the child is part of the family
  •    In possession of a residence order for a child
  •    You’ve lived with the child for at least 3 years
  •    You have consent from the local authority if the child is currently in care

If you don’t fall into any of these categories then you can apply to the court who will take into account your relationship with the child, the risk of harm and the benefits of the child living with you.

How does the 174 Law children arrangements service benefit you and your family?

Separation or divorce can be very emotionally overwhelming and stressful. That’s why we specialise in providing a caring, well-thought out service when it comes to child arrangements.

For instance, we know there’s a lot of legal jargon involved in child arrangements, so will be there every step of the way if there’s anything you may not understand about your case or the child arrangement procedure in general.

At 174 Law we’ve dealt with some of the toughest family law cases including parents with a criminal record and cases where social services needed to be involved. That means we’re always prepared to approach your case in a sensitive yet professional manner to ensure you and your family get a reasonable and fair result that benefits everyone.

What services does 174 Law offer?

We offer a comprehensive range of child arrangement services including:

  • Prohibited Steps Order: Where a parent is prevented from making certain decisions in your child’s upbringing
  • Legal rights to parental responsibility
  • Changing your child’s surname
  • Sorting out who your child will live with
  • Determining how much time the child will spend with each parent
  • Specific Issue Orders: Where a parent is required to carry out certain wishes in the child’s upbringing such as education, religion and medications.
  • Social services intervention
  • Moving the child away from your area or overseas

Child Arrangements everyone can agree on

We’re highly trained in all aspects of family law and we appreciate that divorce and separation can be tough for families. Sometimes the law may not provide the best solution for your family, so it’s worth taking advantage of the Child Arrangement Programme to try and resolve any disputes or matters. We are passionate about helping you make the right decision for your family while helping you retain a sense of order in a time where life may feel chaotic.

Discuss your child arrangement options with us today – give us a ring on 0151 647 7372 or email


No, but it can go a long way in helping you and your family come to a stable agreement. We can give you non-biased advice and help with communication between you and your partner or other guardian. We offer pay as you go services to clients who prefer to represent themselves but seek assistance in the preparation of their case and application.

Not necessarily! You’ll only need to go to court if there are child protection concerns, if you can’t come to an agreement with your partner or if social services are involved. Court intervention is actually seen as a last resort to come to a solution.

If you haven’t come to an agreement then you will need to get a court order and you must prove you’ve been to mediation meetings first to show you’ve tried to settle your case. The court will then summon you for an appointment and, usually, several court hearings. The judge will determine what you can and can’t agree on, as well as any potential risks to the child. The court makes a decision based on what it’s heard and you’ll then get a consent order detailing what you’ve both agreed on. Of course, this is just in summary and, if possible, it’s always better to reach an agreement with your solicitor first.

We don’t want money to cause even more stress in your situation – that’s why you have the option of consulting one of our recommended financial advisers who may be able to assist you with funding or alternatively we offer a  range of payment plans to assist you with budgeting our fees whetHer this be hourly rate, fixed fees or pay as you go. If your case involves social services intervention then you could be entitled to free legal aid.Legal is otherwise available to those who are financially eligible if they fit the requisite criteria set by the legal Aid Agency