Need Assistance? Call 0151 647 7372

Need Assistance? Call 0151 647 7372


We’re a big advocate of diversity at 174 Law, that’s why we offer legal services for same-sex couples. We advise individuals and couples on all the legal issues surrounding same-sex relationships and cohabitation.

People from all kinds of backgrounds get in touch with us on regular basis for matters including:

  • Cohabitation
  • Civil partnerships
  • Dissolution of civil partnerships
  • Surrogacy and parental orders
  • Same Sex Marriage and relationship breakdown

What is a Same Sex Cohabitation Dispute?

A cohabitation dispute is where your relationship has broken down and you can’t come to a suitable agreement when it comes to finances, property, assets and childcare. It’s only applied to same-sex couples who aren’t married or in a civil partnership – because you won’t get the same rights as a married couple once you separate.


How can 174 Law help?

We help couples agree on how they want to divide assets and even who owns what in the first place. Our cohabitation dispute for same sex couple covers:

  • Property: We’ll help you work out who owns the property, whether you made any regular contributions to the mortgage and, if possible, we can assist you in applying to the court if needs be.
  • Assets: Things such as vehicles, jewellery, land and so on, can be defined as joint assets or sole ownership – we’ll help you determine which is which.
  • Children: We can offer advice and guidance on child maintenance payments and arrangements


Same sex cohabitation when you’re not married

If you or your partner own the property you live in, then there are legal issues to be discussed if you’re cohabiting. For same sex couples who aren’t married or in a civil partnership, cohabitation rights can vary just like in same sex relationships. Even if one of you doesn’t legally own the property, you could have an interest in the property because you pay for building maintenance, home renovations or part of the mortgage. We’re here to help you come to a fair decision regarding your property.

We help hundreds of couples per year to set out declaration of trust agreement where the partner who doesn’t own legal rights to their home will still have some rights in the matter. So if you happen to have a cohabitation dispute then you’ll more than likely be fully prepared for the road ahead. We offer guidance for couples going through cohabitation disputes – our team is made up of expertly trained lawyers that specialise in this area.

Same sex marriage and civil partnerships

Fortunately, many of the rights granted to married opposite sex couples are the same for same-sex married couples. If your partner passes away and you’re married or in a registered civil partnership you should be entitled to the property and assets. Nowadays you’ll get exactly the same treatment with tax and benefits if you’re a married same-sex couple. If you’re unsure of anything, please get in touch with us today.

Why choose 174 Law?

We have 150 years of combined experience as top rate solicitors in the North West and across the UK. Our team are always on hand to answer any queries you may have regarding your matter and we always take care to be as sensitive and professional as we can.

We know separating from a partner can be an emotionally upsetting time, that’s why we’re dedicated to working efficiently and effectively, while remaining completely transparent with costs. We’ll also let you know if you’re eligible for funding support, should you require it.

Are you in a same-sex relationship and currently experiencing some difficulties? Call 0151 647 7372 or email for assistance today.