Need Assistance? Call 0151 647 7372

Need Assistance? Call 0151 647 7372


Divorce can be one of the most stressful and exhausting times in anyone’s life – and the last thing on your mind is trawling through the paperwork to sort out property, childcare, assets and finances.

That’s why we provide help and guidance along every step of the way if you’re going through a divorce or relationship breakdown.

Can I apply for a divorce?

If you’ve been married in the UK for a minimum of one year, then you can apply for a legally recognised divorce. You and your partner must pass certain checks and, if you both agree to the divorce, you will be eligible for a undefended divorce. If one of you doesn’t consent to the divorce then you need to apply for a defended divorce.

You’ll also need to have a permanent home in England or Wales and, of course, a marriage that’s legally recognised in the UK. You must also give reasonable grounds for divorce. This can include:

  • Living apart for more than two years (your partner should agree in writing)
  • Living apart for more than 5 years (you don’t need your partner’s consent)
  • Adultery (within 6 months of finding out)
  • Unreasonable behaviour (emotional abuse, domestic violence, threatening behaviour, drug and alcohol abuse and non-payment of rent or bills
  • Desertion

Children Arrangements and finances in a divorce

Of course, in many cases a divorce doesn’t just affect two people – it can affect future financial affairs and childcare arrangements. We’ll give you well-informed advice on coming to an agreement with assets, finances, property and, most importantly, your children.

The arrangements for your children is a mutual responsibility for both parents, even if the children only lives with one of you. Some of your arrangement options include:

  • Voluntary agreement or a family-based arrangement where bills, rent / mortgage, childcare costs are split and one of you agrees to contribute regular payments.
  • Child Maintenance Service where the parent who lives with the children can apply for financial support. The other parent contributes a certain amount through this government service every week
  • Court action when, if you can’t come to an agreement, you attend court where you may receive a lump sum or regular installments towards childcare.

Property and Assets

Sorting out finances in a divorce can be tough and complicated – that’s why we also provide help and practical advice on how to fairly divide up property and assets. This can include wedding gifts, cash, vehicles and even pensions. The two of you are fully entitled to live in the matrimonial home irrespective of whose name the property is registered in but if your partner refuses you access you have the option of applying for ‘short term rights’ while you both come to an agreement. We’ve helped hundreds of couples over many years come to a suitable agreement when it comes to property and assets – we always aim to get the best outcome for you.

How can 174 Law help?

Our divorce and relationship breakdown service is just the tip of the iceberg. We also offer services for:

  • Child arrangement orders
  • Parental responsibility orders
  • Family mediation
  • Financial issues surrounding property and assets
  • Prenuptial agreements
  • Helping you to prepare for your court appearance
  • Separation Agreements
  • Clean Break Orders

Our specialist team have over a hundred years experience collectively. It is more than likely we have already advised clients with almost identical circumstances as yourself. However, despite this experience, we also appreciate this experience is unique to you and we will treat your case in exactly the same way.

Are you currently going through or considering a divorce? Call 0151 647 7372 to speak to our experts today or email our family experts –