Although mediation isn’t for everyone, it certainly suits a wide range of people. It’s fast becoming one of the most popular, and even preferred, methods for resolving all kinds of family disputes from divorce to inheritance.
Mediation gives you a lot more control over your situation, compared to taking it to court – especially if you have a good solicitor to support you through the process. At 174 Law we specialise in mediation and our team have over 40 years combined experience.
What is family mediation?
Mediation is perfect for those of you committed to finding a resolution for your dispute through talking and working through your various options to come to a suitable agreement. You don’t need to be in agreement as to the outcome you seek to achieve. In fact if this were the case you wouldn’t need mediation in the first place. You both just need to be committed to the process.
It starts off with a mediation information assessment meeting (MIAMS) where we help each party figure out if mediation is the way forward for you. Our qualified mediators will discuss all the alternatives to the court process, covering the advantages and disadvantages of each option, as well as answer any queries you may have.
The outcome of mediation is not legally binding, but we will draw up a document for you to take the necessary steps to put your agreement into action.
If, however, family mediation isn’t a solution for you then you’ll need to take your dispute to the courts. The mediator will issue you with a certificate to prove you tried a MIAMS but will need further investigation through the courts.
What can I use family mediation for?
There are many issues where family mediation is used as a first step towards coming up with an agreement – here are just a few:
- Children arrangements
- Child maintenance payments
- Cohabitation issues
- Financial issues
- Divorce and civil partnership dissolution
Advantages of family mediation
Family mediation is one of the best ways to give you more control over and take ownership of your outcome. It reduces conflict and stress if you’re dealing with an ex partner and it’s usually much less daunting for children. In most cases, family mediation is a quicker way to resolve disputes and can save you a lot of money on a potentially long court battle.
How can 174 Law help?
Our family mediation service is designed to support each party’s needs. We’ll meet up with both of you separately for a MIAMS to discuss whether or not mediation could work for your situation. If it is, then our highly skilled mediators will act as a facilitator and help guide you through the meeting to come to an effective solution. Our mediators are highly trained experts who will guide you through the legal maze and help you break down legal and emotional barriers. We remain completely impartial and respect your situation – whatever it may be. For example, if children are involved in your dispute then, if appropriate, we will allow them to have their say – so we can create an accurate picture moving forward.
At 174 Law we’re family lawyer mediators with family at heart, so we’re here to remain understanding, yet professional. We help our clients focus objectively and on outcomes so they can come to the best solution for their family on the whole.
All our mediators are fully accredited with the Family Mediation Council and qualified to undertake Child Inclusive Mediation and practising Mediation Professional Practice Consultants.We are also able to offer legal Aid to those who meet the financial eligibility criteria. Our biggest endorsement is referrals from other solicitors who entrust their clients in our care to do the best for them.
Why 174 Law?
- We are one of the longest standing and experienced Family Lawyer mediation practices in the North West.
- We offer Online Mediation and Shuttle mediation.
- We are experienced in Child Inclusive Mediation giving your child a voice to be heard.
- We are innovative in our approach remaining solution and outcome driven.
- We remain empathic at all times whilst focused on the progress you seek to make tailored to your needs.
- We are child focused with a team dedicated to prioritising their bests interests.
- We are an award winning team recognised by both the Law Society, Resolution and the Legal Aid Practitioners group as well as others.
- We pride ourselves on our quality service standards.
- Appointments offered within 5 working days.
- We keep both you and your solicitors updated as to progress.
- Evening and Saturday appointments available.